Dog Bathing, Grooming & Styling Online/Onsite Program (Combination)
Online and Onsite 10 Weeks to Complete Practical
This program is designed to provide you with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to gain employment as a professional dog bather, groomer and stylist. Many of our graduates open their own salon or purchase a mobile van immediately after graduation. You complete nine theory based online courses before attending practical onsite courses. Each course takes 1 month to complete. You can take up to 5 courses per month. You are encouraged to take the courses in the order listed below.
Online Theory Courses - Instructor Driven
Understanding Man's Best Friend
Form and Function of Man's Best Friend
Taking Care of Man's Best Friend
First Aid & CPR for Man's Best Friend
Who's Who in Man's Best Friend
Variations & Creations of Man's Best Friend
Salon for Man's Best Friend
Grooming Man's Best Friend
Styling Man’s Best Friend
Upon successful completion of the nine online courses, you complete three Practical Application courses.
Bathing Basics - 80 clock hours
Grooming Basics - 120 clock hours
Styling Basics - 160 clock hours
Upon completion of this Program, you will understand and be able to bath, groom and style pets encountered in a dog bathing, grooming and styling salon in a compassionate, safe and gentle manner.
You will learn the following:
- history of the dog, temperament and behavior and the basic training methods used to train dogs.
- the external anatomy, integumentary, skeletal, muscular, digestive, reproductive, urinary, respiratory, cardiovascular, nervous, and endocrine systems of the dog.
- body types, skull types, head types, feet types, tail types, coat types and color types.
- nutrition, disease and vaccinations, medical conditions and inherited disorders. The student will study internal and external parasites, first aid including CPR.
- the different American Kennel Club (AKC) breeds, how to recognize the various breeds, their country of origin, the original task for which they were bred, and the approximate size and weight and coat color of each breed and the characteristics that are a "trademark" for particular breeds.
- the basic salon design and layout, salon organization and sanitation, proper salon procedures, salon operations and client relations.
Program Performance Objectives
You will learn the following technical procedures:
- nail trimming, ear cleaning, teeth brushing, expressing anal glands, dematting, bathing, drying, combing, brushing, carding, hand stripping, clippering, scissoring and thinning.
You will learn the following styling procedures:
- creating shapes, balance and symmetry, basic pattern lines, pattern blending application and styling and finishing techniques for all coat types for mixed and purebred dogs.
You will also learn the following salon procedures:
- safe and gentle handling of the pet during all technical proceduress
- salon organization and sanitation
- proper salon procedures
No previous experience is necessary. Students can have no handicaps, physical or otherwise, that could reasonably prevent the use of the knowledge or skills gained from the training offered for successful on the job performance after completion of the training. Student must have a High School Diploma or GED or complete and pass the "Ability to Benefit".
Clock Hour Equivalent: 600 Clock Hours
Time To Complete: 2 - 9 Months for Online Courses - Time frame depending upon number of online courses completed each month. 10 Weeks for Onsite Courses - Time frame depending upon number of clock hours attended each week.
Minimum time to complete Combination Program - 5 Months
Maximum time to complete Combination Program - 12 Months
PROGRAM TUITION AND FEES
Application Fee: $50.00
Total Application and Tuition Fee: $8900.00
$950.00 Plus Sales Tax - Available through AFortunate Dog.com and Industry Catalogs
$50.00 plus sales tax - Available only through AFortunate Dog.com
$169.00 plus sales tax - Available only through Nash Academy. Order online or purchase when you arrive at your practical application location.
9 Online Virtual Books - No additional fee to students in the program.
Student Work Book - No fee to students in the program.
Student Safety Guide - No fee to students in the program.
Online Reference Material
Groomers Reference - No fee to students in the program.G
AKC.org. - No fee online website reference.